Monday 20 May 2013

LIFER Among More Year Birdz

First thing this-morning, my dad and I went to Marthaville Wildlife Management Area for our first of 2-3 Marsh Monitoring days. I was surprised to hear a Blue-winged Warbler singing shortly after we arrived, though I suppose I shouldn't have been, the habitat isn't that strange for them. Also strange was a Green Heron sitting on a wire just outside the park. Anyways here is the checklist of the whole time we were there:
Marthaville eBird Checklist

If you looked at the checklist, I bet you noticed that Acadian Flycatcher was on it. There was one there! Very strange habitat for one though. I remember seeing a checklist last year from I think it was Eric Marcum there that had one as well, and I remember being very confused about it, just like I am now. anyways, Acadian Flycatcher (#211). Also got Marsh Wren there which I was sure I had somewhere else, but apparently not because it is apparently #212 for my eBird list.

When we got backhome, we decided to go to Kettle Point area. Got a few more year birds up there, first off was the Black-bellied Plovers(11) (#213) that my dad picked out while I was scanning a small group of Dunlin. Little did we know, there were another 9 of the plovers around the point, a group of 7 and a pair. But when scanning the distant group of 7, I came across the more slender, smaller-headed molting American Golden-Plover (#214).
As walking further along, I stopped in my tracks as I saw a small shorebird running along the rocks it blended into 20ft in front of us. Pulled up and bins and saw, my LIFER, Piping Plover!! Likely same bird reported by Maris Apse the day previous, and an extremely exciting bird! Piping Plover, (yr#215), (countylife#261), (life#365). Came close for pics too!
We also got a few Caspian Terns (#216) flying around calling before we got back to the car.
Kettle Point eBird Checklist

Last year bird of the day was back in or forest this afternoon. One female type Canada Warbler (#217) foraging near the ground. Also got another new yard bird while driving back over our creek. Common Loon (yard#183).




New Yardbird Common Loon
Lastly, a question for any of you, should I be writing an OBRC report on my Cassin's/Western Kingbird last week or not? I'm not really sure if it is necessary.

And also, I would like to thank Maris Apse fro reporting the Plover yesterday, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten it.

Good Birding!

3 comments:

  1. I seem to recall having an Acadian Flycatcher at Marthaville many years ago. Would have to sift through my notes!
    Tough call on the kingbird since you are not certain. More likely a Western which does not require write-up at this time. Have you eliminated Couch's/Tropical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the birds tail was definitely black, or close to it, which should eliminated couch's/tropical.. May first thought when I saw it was western, and thats likely what it was but it was just to brief a look for me.

      Delete
  2. By the way, very nice photos of the Piper! An unbanded one to boot!

    ReplyDelete