Thursday 2 May 2013

May 1&2

Yesterday, May1, was the first of 3 Canatara birding walks. There was a good turnout and a number of somewhat notable birds. Throughout the day, I was able to pick up 4 new species. One was on the walk, Gray Catbird (#157), and one was just before the walk Green Heron (#156). The green heron was flying around throughout the walk, I saw it at least 6 times! Other notables on the walk were:
-Great Egret
-Osprey
-Bald Eagle
-Broad-winged Hawk (I saw 13, most of the group missed the majority of them)
-Chimney Swift
-Yellow Warbler

The other two birds new for the year that day were Baltimore Oriole (#154), seen on my bus ride to school, and Chimney Swift (#155) in Petrolia flying around.

Crazy close Red-Tailed in Canatara!


Today I got another 4 species off the list! First thing in the morning right when I looked out the window there was a Rose-breasted Grosbeak (#158) on our feeder. On the bus ride got Eastern Kingbird (#159) off the list.
Then this afternoon when I went for my walk I got 3 Black-and-white Warblers (#160), and a Northern Waterthrush (#161). 
Other notables for our property were a Northern Harrier, 3 Yellow Warblers, and a Red-breasted Nuthatch (only my second ever for our property).


 Poor pic showing unique undertail coverts.
 Another poor Black-and-white Warbler pic.
 Red-breasted Nuthatch


Tomorrow afternoon I'm heading to Point Pelee for the weekend! Can't wait to see whats there!! Especially after reading some posts from Brandon Holden, David Bell, and Josh Vandermeulen. Sooo Jealous!!

Good Birding! 

1 comment: