Saturday 1 June 2013

Now Some Breeding Birdz!

Yesterday I managed to head down to the County Line Woods looking for some of the rarer breeding birds. My list from the drive only the road the forest is on, I think was quite impressive if I do say so myself. I was driving about 10-30km/hr for the whole road on my way to the forest, my first birds of interest was a single American Golden-Plover (getting kinda late isn't it?) in a flooded field all by itself...or so I thought, but after a few seconds a Ruddy Turnstone popped out behind the ridge...then another...and two more! That was a nice sight! As soon as I got to the actual forest I got very excited, I'd never been there before and could tell it was a very nice chunk of Carolinian Forest. Among the first birds I heard when I had gotten to the edge (while in the car still), Ovenbird and Veery. Gotta love the carolinian zone! Soon enough, after driving around the whole forest, I had gotten, from my car, two very good birds, both year birds, both species at risk. A Cerulean Warbler (#224) singing up in the tree-tops, and TWO singing Hooded Warblers (#225). And lucky for me, they were both on the Lambton side of the road! I even got a recording of one of the Hooded's singing.
Soon enough I was off into the forest, and 3 more year birds, Orange-crowned Warbler (#226), Alder Flycatcher (#228), and in between those two....a White-eyed Vireo! (#227)! I had heard it singing, reconized the call but couldn't put a name on it. After a little while of searching through the leaves, I managed to get a good enough look at it for an ID.
Other notables from the walk incl:
-Broad-winged Hawk
-Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
-Yellow-throated Vireo
-Mourning Warbler
-Blue-winged Warbler
Also when I got back into the car and started driving away, I had Another Hooded Warbler, but this time calling from the Middlesex side of the road...New Middlesex bird as well!

But I was not done with year birds for the day! On the drive, I visited and stopped at a few places that looked promising. And at one of these locations, I got one more Good Year bird. a Golden-winged Warbler (#229). I heard it call twice in the distance doing its classic "Bee Bz-Bz-Bz" call.
So the last day of May, provides SIX new year birds.. 4 of which are rare breeders in ON, and two of them are Species at Risk.

This was a very good day.

Good Birding!

2 comments:

  1. It is a nice section of country for uncommon birds. I think I will head in that direction on Sunday and join the OFO field trip at Skunk's Misery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah it was awesome! Lots of new butterflies for the year too! I was thinking about joining, but I don't think I will.. Got other stuff on the go.

      Delete