Thursday 16 August 2012

Old Cut Banding Day One

So I arrived at Old Cut, Long Point yesterday afternoon, so today was my first day with banding. Over all the day went fairly well for banding, I did get to band about 9 individual's(8species), including a Traill's Flycatcher and a Canada Warbler. For the rest of the day, I was pretty much birding the whole time. Ended up with 51 species in between 2:25 and 6:00pm. Managed to find 7 species of warbler in this time, and one more species from census this morning. (Canada, Yellow-rumped, Magnolia, Black-and-white, Mourning, Chestnut-sided, American Redstart, and from census, Yellow Warbler). There were also a fairly substantial numbler of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers around the area, as well as Least Flycatchers and a fair amount of Black-and-white Warblers also. Throughout the day I also got Common, Forster's, and Caspian Terns, 2 Belted Kingfisher's, Green Herons, and 2 Great Egrets. Over all, my time here has been very good.

The plan for tomorrow is to take a boat out to the Tip, then eventually me and David Bell will be headed out for Breakwater, the middle banding lab. I can't wait because both are very beautiful places to be!
But thats it for now.

Good Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment