Sunday 5 August 2012

Backyard Birding ~~ Early August

So it's early August, and I'm already seeing a fair bit of songbird movement at my house and in my forest. I went for a 2hr walk/birding trip in the forest this afternoon around 14:00, and I was surprised at how much there was back there! My biggest surprise was the 280+ Common Grackle's flying around, some parts of the forest ground was solid black with them! Some other interesting things were the 6 different species of Warbler, even though 4 of these commonly nest in Lambton, only 3 of these nest on the property. The most interesting of them was a somewhat early migrating Adult Male Blackburnian Warbler(in it's fall plumage). Yellow-throated Vireo singing its "3A 3A" song was also a pleasent surprise for they are not super common on the property at any time of year.

Though fall migration is starting up on the property, there are still a number of breeding residence which were nice to see. I was very surprised at how well the Great-crested Flycatcher's did this year, within the first 10min of the walk I had already seen 2 adults with >3 juvenile's with them, and by the end of the walk I had a total of 8 different individuals. Though this type of flycatcher apeares to have done quite well this year, I am sad to say that the Eastern Wood-pewee's on the property don't seem to have had a successful brood this year, only one individual was heard in the entire 2hrs, where in previous years they would not stop calling in every direction. 8 Yellow Warbler's including 2 fledglings indicated a fair-average nesting success this year, as well as the Juvenile Male Amreican Redstart.

Not super exciting but a very fun moment during the walk was my encounter with an American Woodcock, getting accidentaly flushed up meer inches from where I was putting my foot down. Was I ever startled. Another good bird seen, not during the walk but early morning, a Wild Turkey wandering around in my front yard! First one I've seen in at leased a month, they are typically more common in numbers between late fall and early spring around here, but earlier this summer I happened to stumble apon a nest of theirs with 5 eggs in it, very exciting discovery at the time because I had never seen a turkey nest before.

It's also very nice to see an Adult Red-tailed Hawk soaring the 2 of its young, still teaching them to hunt better. They seem to have had a successful brood this year as well, with at leased 3 Juveniles around. They have been nesting in our forest across the road from the house for as long as I can remember, probably 15+ years! Its always so much fun watching the adults teach their young to hunt on thier own.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11276964
(checklist from today)

But that about wraps up todays birding, hope you enjoyed!
Good Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment