Friday 1 March 2013

LIFER#2 of the Year

Today after school I decided to head over to the river, mainly to look for those Greater White-fronted Geese that have been being reported the last couple days there. They have been being reported around Fawn Island area so I figured I'd head south towards there. During the drive, and all the places I stopped at, I observed 2 Iceland Gulls, 1 Glaucous Gull, a White-winged Scoter, my first Female Northern Pintail of the year, and my first Common Grackle of the year. I was surprised at the lack of a single black-backed gull on the river! Once I got down towards Sombra area, I started to see a surprising number of Ring-necked Ducks, I counted 14 in the general Sombra area. As well as my second new for the year species of the day, an American Coot swimming with the scaup, Mallards, R-N Ducks, and a few other species. I finally got down to Fawn Island and pulled into a little parking lot, pulled out the scope, and scanned the geese on the island. Soon enough, I managed to spot a small sleeping, brown goose. Greater White-fronted Goose!! My Lifer!! Though it was not the best view in the world, its head was tucked in. Though after a little while longer of scanning the shore and the water, all the geese took off, and among them I found 2 Greater White-fronted Geese! Guess there must have been on hiding at the back where I couldn't see it! I managed to get a little better of a view in flight, but still not perfect. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera because I didn't want to leave it in the car at school all day. I decided To head back home. On the way back I also found both a Peregrine Falcon, and Merlin fly over Hwy40 while I was driving.

Other things of interest since last post:
-I am up to 5 Red-shouldered Hawks for the year! 4 in-county, one outside.
-Last Sunday I found a Savannah Sparrow on the side of the road near the Bluewater Center for Raptor Rehabilitation.
-I think it was the friday before that when I found a female Surf Scoter from Point Edward Lighthouse.

Figured I should try to get at least one photo into this post. Photo from a few winters ago.


So with the 3 new species today, my county list is up to 89 species for the year. 2 of which have been Lifers!

Untill next time,
Good Birding!

4 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! was a very good day! (After school anyways)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't realized that you still needed a White-fronted Goose!
    They were quite rare back in the '90's, but are fairly regular now.
    Good find on the redpolls today as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Ridgetown Sewage Lagoons in december to try and find them, it just happened to be a day with extreme winds and temps so couldn't spend as much time looking for them as I could have. And thanks!

      Delete