Sunday 3 March 2013

Past Two Days

So today, I once again went to Perch Creek looking for the Saw-whet. And once again, for the 3rd time this year, didn't have any luck. I suspect this will be the last time I spend looking for it this winter because if it hasn't left to go back up north to breed, it will fairly soon. While we were almost in Sarnia, we decided to check out the Bay, and the Lake, and hopefully get some Green-winged Teal photos. So we headed into town. Our first stop, was the south side of the bay. There, across the ice/water, there were Mallards, a few Black Ducks, Redheads and both Scaup. Also, sitting on the ice, was a small 30ish sized group of gulls. In between those and the Gulls flying by, I counted 6 Greater Black-backed Gulls, 1 Iceland Gull(first winter), and 7!! Glaucous Gulls. Until I realised, One of the so-called Glaucous Gulls, had some gray tips to the wings, and was slightly smaller then the others. My first Herring x Glaucous Hybrid! Aka. "Nelson's Gull". So that was a fair excitement. Other then that, here are some photo's to tell the rest of my Sarnia Bay experience.

 Mallard x American Black Duck Hybrid

  Female Redhead

 
Tiny Green-winged Teal behind American Black Duck.

After the Bay, we hit the bridge and the lighthouse. At the Bridge, both Peregrines were flying around as we pulled up, and at the Lighthouse, there was the normal Long-tailed Ducks and Common Mergs. Also at the lighthouse, was that Female Surf Scoter again, but it was wayyyy out, just a dot without a scope.


Yesterday was also a fairly goodday at home. Within an hour of waking up in the morning, I looked outside to see a large flock of Redpolls fly by. I went outside with scope and binoculars and managed the search the whole 85+ bird flock before they flew on again. In the flock, with the scope, I got Great looks at 2 individual Hoary Redpolls, and my First Ever "Greater" Common Redpoll! Both of these were very nice sights to see! Other then those, the same'ol same'ol around, Downy's, Hairy's, Red-bellied's, a Wild Turkey, Chick-a-dee's, the usual.

Good Birding!

2 comments:

  1. I was at Perch Creek this morning and hardly a bird to be found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Canatara wasn't to productive either we need warmer weather and soon!!!

    ReplyDelete