Saturday 29 December 2012

the last CBC

So today I likely participated in my last Christmas Bird Count for this winter, and it, once again, was a good one. We met up with the gang at about 8am in our count area, and split up into 2 group. I was in a group with my dad, Larry, and Paul. The first place we stopped, we were looking for Long-eared Owls, in total at that location, we found 5! Though I did not see all of them, I did get a really good look at one as it was staring down upon me! The Long-eared's were definitely one of the highlights of the day, and later in the day another was flushed at a different location. But also a highlight from this location was a nice adult Bald Eagle soaring low over the creek that we all got a great view of.

There were a fair number of species that I was surprised about how high the numbers were today. Am. Tree Sparrows were seen/heard at almost all, if not every single stop! With a group of 50+ at one of the stops! Golden-crowned Kinglets were in fair numbers compared to other year apparently as well, and also Brown Creepers, 3 seen by our group today. One of the most surprising numbers was the Tufted Titmice, at one location, we had 6+ of them! I did not think or expect them to be in these high of numbers in that section of the county. Also a total of 4 Northern Shrikes total seen was quite high, though I was only able to seen 2 of which, the other 2 were Paul-only birds. But I do believe I was really surprised about the number of Hairy Woodpeckers, it seemed to me that
 there were many more Hairy's found by us then Downy's!
Very bad, very cropped Northern Shrike

Some of the other more notable species seen today are Brown-headed Cowbird (a few), a single Female Red-winged Blackbird!, at someones feeder with many other species. And, last, but definitely not leased, the most exciting bird of the day, Eastern Meadowlark! (Presumably eastern anyways). But this was by Far, the latest Meadowlark I have ever seen, I mean seriously, its the 29th of December! And it wasn't even on a pole in the meadow, it was in a tree! Messed up Meadowlark that one.
But all in all, a very Great Day, thanks to everyone that had taken part in it!

Good Birding!

1 comment: