Wednesday 26 December 2012

Nemesis's

Hello all,
So today I decided to go to Ridgetown Sewage Lagoons in search of the 4 Greater White-fronted Geese that have been seen there over the past weeks. This is actually the second time I have gone to look for this species at these lagoons, the first time was this spring there were a few that stopped there. But, I missed them by only a few hours this spring so I decided I'd try again.
Today.....was not a different story.. None to be seen! Despite scouring the 600-odd Canada Geese on the northern cell, for almost 20min, I could not pick them out! Though I guess it wasn't a waist going, I did get the 3 Ross's Geese which was a lifer a couple weeks back, as well as 11 Cackling Geese! Definitely the large number of this species I have seen in one place. Also managed to find the one Blue-winged Teal that has been hanging around there, luckily for me, it flew right by my view as I was scanning for GWFG. When I first got there, I wanted to scan, and I was scanning, all the Tundra Swans looking for a Trumpeter, buuut, quickly decided that face was already numb and didn't want to freeze in order to do it, sooo, just the geese for me was my decision!
So in-between the drive there, and the drive back, we saw 3 of each Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawk, 2 Am. Kestrels, one large distant raptor as we drove by(looked like a possible Golden Eagle based on size and shape), and a few groups of Snow Buntings and Horned Larks, one with a single Lapland Longspur(which we nearly hit with the car)! But, it all turned out well in the end!

After this little incident/problem that the Greater White-fronted Goose pulled, I think I am going to have to name it a new Nemesis Bird for me, taking number 2 on the Nemesis Scale. Number one Nemesis has to be Yellow-throated Warbler. If anyone sees one in Lambton County in the near future, let me know ASAP please! I went looking at Rondeau PP. for the ones that bred there this year 1-2 time, missed them, as well as missing the ones at Pelee Island while I was there. But oh well, what can ya do.

Good Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment