Thursday 24 January 2013

Theres the Snow!

Went looking for the reported Slaty-backed Gull on the river today. I'm not going to say for certain that I found it, but I did see a gull fitting the description in approx. the same area as reported. Again, good comparison to Herring and Greater Black-backed Gulls. Bird did have a bit of streaking on head and neck, too much for a Greater Black-backed, slightly larger then Herring. Back was a dark slaty-grey, pink legs seen, not extremely bright but they were seen. I can't think of any other gull this could be, but I am not going to count it to my list unless one is confirmed in the area or down river a ways in the next week or so.

On another note, also seen on the river was 3 Glaucous Gulls, 43 Greater Black-backed Gulls, one adult Thayer's Gull which was new for year, as well as the Bald Eagles I saw. At Sombra I found my first Ring-necked Duck of the year as well. I also stopped at the bridge, for the 4th time this year, and for the 4th time this year, missed the Peregrine Falcon. That bird is really bugging me! I also visited the lighthouse, though there weren't any birds this side of the green buoy due to the ice, and I couldn't find anything other then a Long-tailed Duck out there.
My last stop was Canatara Park, where I saw at leased 5 White-winged Crossbills with a flock of Redpolls, as well as a Red-tailed Hawk.

Good Birding!
And good luck if your looking for it!

2 comments:

  1. That single Ring-necked Duck has been there for almost a month! I have not seen any others on the river yet this winter.
    I really enjoy gull-watching on the river. Just like I said earlier in the week, gulls like ice!
    I have not caught up with the Peregrine either. Wonder where they are? Peregrines also nest at the Detroit Edison north of Marine City, but I have not seen them this year either. Sometimes they are on our side at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh really? I guess it makes sense I didn't know that, that was the first time I made it all the way down to Sombra probably since last year!
      Your right, the ice definitely did bring in some gulls!
      I guess I'm going to have to keep an eye out whenever I'm near there for those Peregrines then! I didn't know they nest there!

      Delete