Saturday 12 January 2013

New birds over past week.

So I haven't posted in over a week, so there are a few things I should probably post now. So my last post, I said I was at 52 species for the year, unfortunately, it gets harder to find new species the further into the year it gets, so, since then, I have added 17species. Which I am very happy with because I haven't really gone on any really good birding trips since then. I am also very happy with some of the birds I have gotten, there are a few that I may not see again in the county this year, and some that are just strait up fair quality birds! Some of the fair quality birds I've seen since then: American Robin(not very present this winter), Brown-headed Cowbirds, Great Blue Heron, Pileated Woodpecker, White-crowned Sparrow, and White-winged Crossbills. Then there are 3 species that I could easily miss for the rest of the year. Bohemian Waxwings, 5 seen/heard in a flock of Cedars yesterday afternoon, which is probably my most-likely to find again. A single Hoary Redpoll in a flock of about 70 Common's, which was seen on the 5th. And best of all, on the 11th, I got my LIFER and Yard Bird, Barred Owl! This species is a very good species for the county! This will probably be one of my highlights of the entire year!


 Cropped

This was a very lucky, unlikely, and exciting find!

Unfortunately there are a few species on the river right now that I am unable to go see for the next little while, I really hope they stay. A Trumpeter Swan at Cathcart Park, and a bright male Harlequin Duck near Courtright, which is a would-be lifer for me. Both of these species would be awesome additions to my year, and life lists. Hopefully they will stay a little while longer.

Good Birding!

2 comments:

  1. The Barred Owl is pretty incredible!

    Harlequin not seen today (Sunday)despite MANY people looking. Trumpeter was in Sombra Bay (north end).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was really excited about it!
      I'm wondering if the Trumpeter will winter with all the Tundra's this year! That would be really cool! Pity about the Harlequin not there though..

      Delete